- 3 hours
- Product Type
- Plaza Mayor
- Madrid de los Austrias
- Royal Palace of Madrid (exterior)
- Puerta del Sol
As you wander through the historic Plaza Mayor, the conversation will bring the era of the Habsburgs vividly to life. Then, you might choose to immerse yourself in Madrid's vibrant culinary scene, perhaps pausing to discuss its iconic Jamon Iberico or visit a local chocolatería.
Conclude your tour at Puerta del Sol, a symbol of Madrid's resilience and spirit. Reflect on the city's journey through historical uprisings and modern commemorations. This tour is more than a walk; it's an invitation to engage with Madrid's story, feeling its pulse and discovering how its celebrated history is intertwined with its dynamic present.
- You're seeking to trace the city's transformation from its Moorish roots through the reign of the Habsburgs to the events that shaped modern Spain.
- Walk the unchanged streets of the medieval core and the storied Plaza Mayor, where history feels alive around you.
- You are excited to benefit from the knowledge of a local expert who can provide a deep understanding of Madrid's historical context and contemporary culture.
- And if you're traveling with children under the age of 12, consider our family-oriented Madrid Tour for Kids, which tailors the highlights of Madrid to young imaginations.
- Plaza Mayor: Once an arena for bullfights and executions, it now hosts lively cafes and markets, framed by the historic Casa de la Panadería with its stunning frescoes.
- Madrid de los Austrias: Renowned for its Habsburg architecture, this district retains its medieval street pattern, adding charm to its stately buildings.
- Royal Palace of Madrid (exterior): The current palace stands on the site of a medieval fortress, rebuilt after the original Alcázar was destroyed by fire in 1734.
- Puerta del Sol: The beating heart of Madrid, Puerta del Sol houses "Kilometer Zero," the central point from which all distances in Spain are measured.
- There will be the opportunity to stop and rest along the way if needed.
- For more information on planning your time in the city, take a read through our Context Stories.
- If you are looking to learn more about Madrid prior to a visit, check out our online lectures and audio guides.
- Please be aware this walking tour includes narrow sidewalks and cobblestone streets which may present challenges for those with mobility concerns.
- We encourage you to inform us about any accessibility needs at the time of booking to accommodate you better.
When should I take this tour?
We recommend taking this tour early on during your stay in Madrid for a helpful orientation to the city. For comfort, especially in the summer months, a morning start time is advisable to avoid the worst of the heat.
Do tours operate in inclement weather?
Reviews can only be left by Context customers after they have completed a tour. For more information about our reviews, please see our FAQ.