- 1 hour
- Product Type
- Audio Guide
- Praça do Comércio, Rossio Square, Church of São Roque, Santa Justa Lift, Rua Augusta Arch, Chiado Neighborhood, Alfama Neighborhood, and Miradouro das Portas do Sol
- Put your map away as an architect guides you around Lisbon's most famous architectural sites
- Hit play together and stroll the city or wander solo, but always with an expert in your ear as your personal guide
Prior to the devastating earthquake of 1755, Lisbon boasted a skyline adorned with Gothic architecture that captured the imagination. From elegant, detailed facades to soaring arches, every symbol of Lisbon‘s grandeur succumbed to the relentless tremors. On this self-paced audio guide tour created by architect and Context Travel expert, Bert De Muynck, you‘ll spot traces of the city‘s architectural past, and learn about its rebuilding.
Travelers can take this tour at any time of the day and during any season. Both Manteigaria and A Brasiliera are open from 8 AM till midnight every day.
• Learn about the origin of Portuguese tiles, or azulejos, as ornamentation and how they became the symbol for Lisbon's rebirth during the post-earthquake recovery
• Step into Café A Brasileira, the birthplace of brilliant ideas, passionate debates, and artistic inspiration during the 1900s
If you want to truly understand how Lisbon rose from the ashes, transforming itself into the world‘s most modern 18th-century downtown area, join us on this captivating hour-long audio guide tour that will transport you through centuries of history, culture, and architectural wonder.
Bert is an Architect and Writer and holds a Master's Degree in Architectural Engineering and Cultural Sciences. He was born in Belgium and has lived and worked in Amsterdam, Beijing, and Shanghai before relocating to Lisbon in 2018. He established his career through many academic and writing-focused roles throughout his journey – also working as an Architectural consultant. He is the co-director of "MovingCities," an independent research organization investigating the role that architecture and urbanism play in shaping the contemporary city of Lisbon. Bert lived in China from 2006 to 2018, where he first began leading Context walks. He also has a great understanding of Lisbon’s historic legacy, Jewish culture, and architectural style – fields of interest he has studied relentlessly since his first visit to the city in 2003.
- Install VoiceMap from the Apple App Store or Google Play
- Create an account
- Select Tour Codes from the menu, then select Enter Codes
- Enter your Voucher Code
- Select Download Now