Panos has studied Greek and European History, focusing on ancient Greek Archaeology and Modern European History. He has participated in archaeological excavations in Corfu and his dissertation was on the creation of national identities in Southeastern Europe in the 19th century. His Master’s Degree is in International and European Relations, with publications on the viability of monetary unions, while his dissertation was on Regional Integration in the Developing World. Panos is still engaged in Academia, conducting research on Human Migration at the University of Athens, while at the same time he is doing a second Master’s Degree on Creative Writing.
Languages: Greek, English, German, French
- While the lure of ancient Greece may have brought you to the city, a lesson in Neoclassical Athens with Panos will reveal how the European interpretation of classical art and architecture shaped prominent Greek institutions such as the Academy of Athens, the National Library and the University of Athens.
- If you have your sights set on exploring outside of the city, the Peloponnese are not to be missed. From the prehistoric ruins of Mycenae and Tiryns, to the medieval citadel-city of Mystras and the traditional villages in the mountains of Arcadia, Panos will lead you through centuries of history and culture of the stunning peninsula.
- Once you've been dazzled by the Acropolis, Panos highly recommends diving into the collections of a few lesser-known museums. The Epigraphic Museum holds the largest collection of inscriptions in the world - more than 14,000 - ranging from 8th-century BC Attica through 17th-century Mystra. If modern and contemporary art is your passion, the newly opened Basil & Elise Goulandris Foundation should be on your list with works by distinguished Greek modernists and European masters such as Van Gogh, Picasso, and Cezanne.
- How many days would you like the itinerary to be?
- Do you have specific goals for your trip?
- Which sites and venues would you like to prioritize? Do you want to just pass by or explore inside as well?
- Do you have any mobility concerns?
- Who are you traveling with? What are their ages and interests?