- 3 hours
- Product Type
- Holyrood Palace
- High Kirk of St Giles
- Greyfriars Tolbooth and Highland Kirk
- This walking tour immerses you in the city's rich history, iconic landmarks, and hidden tales, ensuring a memorable and enriching visit that elevates your entire Edinburgh experience.
- Embark on a guided journey through Edinburgh's Old Town, exploring the iconic Royal Mile, where landmarks like the Palace of Holyroodhouse and Edinburgh Castle reveal tales of societal change, political intrigue, and age-old legends.
Our journey through Old Town takes you on a captivating exploration of the city's past. Magnificent seventeenth-century homes and remnants of old breweries stand as witnesses to Edinburgh's industrial journey and its resilience. As you observe Canongate Tolbooth, you can sense the presence of historical figures like Mary, Queen of Scots, and Bonnie Prince Charlie, who once graced these halls. Beyond the well-known landmarks, your expert guide leads you to the Flodden Wall and Netherbow Port, reminders of Edinburgh's tumultuous past. The home of John Knox, a pivotal figure in the Protestant Reformation, offers further insight into the city's historical tapestry.
This tour is more than a casual walk; it's a journey through time, guided by someone deeply passionate about Edinburgh's traditions. Your guide's expertise unlocks the hidden treasures of the city, transforming your stroll into an immersive historical adventure. The stories and experiences gained during this tour will stay with you long after you've left the winding streets of Old Town behind, leaving you with a profound understanding and appreciation of Edinburgh's captivating atmosphere.
- You want an intimate exploration of the iconic Royal Mile, bookended by by the stately Palace of Holyroodhouse and the imposing Edinburgh Castle.
- You are eager to immerse yourself in a narrative that seamlessly intertwines the past and present, providing a new perspective on Edinburgh.
- Royal Mile - The historic heart of Edinburgh, brimming with centuries-old tales and iconic architecture.
- Palace of Holyroodhouse (exterior) - The official residence of the British monarch in Scotland, steeped in royal history.
- Holyrood Park - Edinburgh's natural oasis, where breathtaking landscapes meet millennia-old geological wonders.
- Canongate - A vibrant stretch of Edinburgh's Old Town, where cobbled streets whisper tales of historic residents, ancient ceremonies, and more.
- Canongate Kirk - A historic church, renowned for its distinctive architecture and its pivotal role in the spiritual history of the city.
- Canongate Tolbooth - A historic building symbolizing the administrative heart of the Canongate area.
- Flodden Wall - The city's ancient defensive barrier, bearing witness to Edinburgh's turbulent past.
- The Netherbow Port - A historic gateway, marking the boundary between the bustling Royal Mile and the old Canongate.
- There will be a break in the tour to stop and use bathroom facilities as well as opportunities to stop and rest along the way if needed.
- Please communicate any mobility needs or concerns with our team at the time of booking.
- The weather in Edinburgh can change frequently, it's always a good idea to check the forecast and dress in comfortable layers.
- Our walking tours operate in rain or shine.
- For more information on planning your tour, take a read through our Context Stories
- If you are looking to learn more about Edinburgh prior to a visit, check out our online lectures and audio guides here.
Reviews can only be left by Context customers after they have completed a tour. For more information about our reviews, please see our FAQ.