- 4 hours
- Product Type
- Versailles Gardens
- Versailles Palace and Gardens
Arriving at Versailles, we’ll begin our tour with the royal gardens, taking in carefully manicured hedges, reflecting pools, and artfully carved open-air statues. We will dissect Louis XIV's powerful solar myth which led to Le Nôtre’s conception of these gardens and contributed to the decorating scheme of the State Apartments.
Next, we'll proceed inside for our Versailles Palace Tour, discussing the château's successive architectural evolutions during the reigns of Louis XIII to the 19th century, including Louis XIV’s addition of more wings, the marble court, and the famous Hall of Mirrors.
Throughout the tour, we’ll immerse ourselves in the lavish narrative of Versailles, and as our walk comes to a close, come away with a better understanding of Le Nôtre’s innovative designs and their relationship to Louis XIV's commitment to maintaining his image as the Sun King.
- This excursion offers the unique opportunity to explore the Versailles Palace and Gardens with a knowledgeable historian or art historian, providing valuable insights and context to the architectural and historical significance of the site.
- The tour covers both the magnificent Versailles Palace and the expansive royal gardens designed by André Le Nôtre. By combining these two elements, visitors get a comprehensive experience that allows them to appreciate the awe-inspiring beauty and grandeur of this historic site. Whether you're interested in architecture, history, or simply admiring stunning landscapes, this tour caters to a wide range of interests.
- Versailles Palace
- Versailles Gardens
Where does the tour start?
- Our Private tours will begin with car service pick-up from your accommodations in Paris. Please let us know where you'll be staying.
- Our small group tours begin from a centralized meeting point. Your tour confirmation will have the exact meeting point and details.
- Unless you've booked the private car transfer back to Paris with us, your tour will end in Versailles. You can return to Paris at your leisure by train or taxi.
- One-way car transfer from Paris to Versailles is included in this tour
- If you're booking a small-group tour, the group will meet at a centralized point in the city center
- If you're booking a private tour, the car service will depart from your accommodations in central Paris. Please provide your address when booking.
- NOTE: Return car transfer from Versailles to Paris is NOT included, you can optionally add this at check out if you are booking a private tour.
- Skip-the-line entry tickets into Versailles Palace and grounds
- With your entry ticket, you'll have access to all sites within the Versailles complex, even those we don't include in our tour (such as Marie Antoinette's Hamlet and the Trianon Palace). If you are taking a morning tour, we encourage you to stay on your own to explore these sites independently.
- Depending on your group size, we may be required by the venue to order headsets. If you would like to guarantee headsets for your tour regardless of your group size, please email us and we’ll be happy to get them reserved for you.
We don't necessarily recommend one over the other. The morning start time allows you to stay on for the rest of the day to explore the rest of the grounds independently. The afternoon tour offers less time for this depending on seasonal opening hours (in the summer, the gardens are open quite late!), but you also have the benefit of slightly reduced crowds.
What are skip-the-line tickets?
While the palace gardens are not easily accessible for people with reduced mobility, we do have the ability to alter the tour route in order to better accommodate mobility concerns.
Please let us know about any accessibility concerns at the time of booking so that we can best advise.
You can also find additional resources about Accessibility at Versailles here.
Reviews can only be left by Context customers after they have completed a tour. For more information about our reviews, please see our FAQ.