Patrizia studied at the University of Rome “La Sapienza”, the University of Aix-en-Provence, and the Vatican School of Paleography, Diplomacy and Archives Administration. Focusing on archaeology, history and art history, she specialized in medieval archaeology. Patrizia has participated in and directed research teams on archaeological excavations across Italy in Rome, Tuscany, Sardinia and Sicily. For 10 years she worked on the Crypta Balbi excavation project, in the heart of Rome, which is still considered a milestone in the history of urban archaeology. There she had the amazing opportunity of exploring 20 centuries of history! That experience completely shaped her way of thinking, providing such an incredible insight into the layering of the city. At present, the site is one of the four seats of the Museo Nazionale Romano.
- Explore the heart of Christianity and the seat of the papacy for almost a millennium. The Sancta Sanctorum Chapel of San Giovanni in Laterano is the most sacred and, until recently, the most secret Christian place in Rome. Together with Patrizia, you will learn to read the opulent motifs and unpack the history of one of the medieval jewels of Rome.
- Explore the heart of the ancient city at the popular Roman Forum and less well known Imperial Fora. A newly opened underground passageway offers an extraordinary opportunity of visiting the two archaeological areas – otherwise divided by Via dei Fori Imperiali. Together with Patrizia, you will trace the evolution of the heart of the ancient city from its origins to the Imperial era, through the late Renaissance, and into the present.
- The Museo Nazionale Romano encompasses four distinct locations - Palazzo Altemps, Crypta Balbi, the Baths of Diocletian, and Palazzo Massimo - housing collections ranging from ancient sculpture to subterranean medieval architecture. Patrizia's expertise in historical topography will bring to life the narrative of the eras in which these objects and sites were born and how they shaped society and the identity of Rome through the centuries.
- How many days would you like the itinerary to be?
- Do you have specific goals for your trip?
- Which sites and venues would you like to prioritize? Do you want to just pass by or explore inside as well?
- Do you have any mobility concerns?
- Who are you traveling with? What are their ages and interests?